Bangalore - Bengaluru - Karnataka

Česky: Chrám Dharmarája Svámí v indickém Benga...
Image via Wikipedia
On a recent visit to Bangalore, I was proudly shown the new kitchen some friends had installed in their home. It was a modular, “no carpenter required”, Italian-style kitchen and they were very excited about it. After the tour, my friends took me to the market where they shopped. It looked nothing like the markets I remembered from my days in Bangalore in the early nineties when I studied engineering there. Folks were buying exotic herbs, foreign vegetables and fermented dosa batter, ready to use.

There is major change in the air as urban India’s eating and cooking habits evolve. Why the change? There are two factors at play here. First, the healthy economy is contributing rupees to India’s 300 million–strong middle class, and these new consumers have a spending power of $10.6 billion, rising by 12 % a year. This increased disposable income is fueling a revolution in the way people cook and eat in urban India.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: